Your Chicago, IL, dentists can help, especially when it comes to giving advice about good oral hygiene habits. You are susceptible to tooth infections if you don't take proper care of your oral hygiene.
Your teeth are in danger when you don't take proper care of them. Here are a few things that may damage your teeth:
- Trauma to your teeth may be due to several things, such as playing a sport and sustaining an injury, or even a car accident that lead to cracks and chips in teeth.
- Poor oral or dental regimen, leading to cavities, which breaks down enamel, the protective layer covering your teeth, and exposes sensitive layers of teeth.
Caring for Your Teeth
- Receiving fluoride treatment and using fluoride-containing products like toothpaste and mouthwash, or drinking fluoride-containing water, to prevent issues like gum disease and tooth decay and help repair teeth
- Flossing at least once before bed will remove food debris
- Avoiding tobacco, smoking, and drinking too much coffee and tea
- Getting professional dental cleanings and checkups every six months to remove hardened plaque that's accumulated on teeth and around gums over time
- Brushing your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day, at least, while holding the brush at a 40-degree angle to clean hard-to-reach areas
If your teeth suffer from an accident or cavities, you may benefit from one of these procedures:
- Dental Implants: If you lose a tooth due to decay, or trauma, then a dental implant will replace missing tooth roots and prevent your jawbone from weakening.
- Root Canal: If your tooth develops an infection or becomes inflamed in the pulp of the tooth, a tissue consisting of blood vessels, connective tissue, and nerve cells, a root canal may be necessary.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call your Chicago, IL, dentist, Dr. Mark Gamalinda, at (773) 334-1801.